Thursday, November 12, 2009

Self Evaluation Post

Writing this blog helped me grow as a thinker as I researched and developed ideas about the ethical limitations on stem cell research. I was able to grasp a deeper understanding of the subject and was able to understand not only the controversy behind but also the effort to continue stem cell research.
Through the research I conducted I found several links that helped me grasp the bigger picture of how effective and important stem cell research could be for everyone. The breakthroughs that I read about that had occurred with HIV was mind blowing. I remember just a few years ago I was in a English class and we had just watched Philadelphia starring Tom Hanks and Denzel Washington I remember thinking how terrible it was that people would just die away and nothing could stop it from happening. Today this breakthrough is amazing scientists all but eradicated HIV from a person’s body. The work being done with Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis are just as amazing to me because, I am an aspiring doctor and as a child and even now TV shows such as House have always interested me and seeing people coming close to curing people with theses disease is amazing for me.
I have grown and learned so much from my blog project. I have been to do research on both sides of the argument and am slowly understanding the controversy on the topic. Much of what have I read on furthering the embryonic stem cell research effort, or people discussing the fact that the embryo’s still feel pain and therefore should not be used, helps me have a more well rounded view on the topic. There have been many breakthroughs done with cloned cells and tests run on rats and other animals that show so promise for the future. Through my blog I have come to form a more centralized opinion on the topic and have began to fully support the stem cell research effort.

2 comments:

  1. If you don't mind my asking, fnord, what is Parkinson's disease?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parkinson's disease is a degenerative disorder of the central nervous system that often impairs the sufferer's motor skills, speech, and other functions.

    ReplyDelete